Wednesday 19 February 2014

What's wrong with netball?

 

I love netball. It's my favourite sport ever. I love the aspect of being in a team, playing a game that stimulates me physically and mentally, and brings together communities and generations of people, not just women.

So why is netball so fundamentally undermined by other sports?

I was perusing the web pages of The Independent and The Guardian this morning in research of postgraduate opportunities and whether they are worth going for when in a state of procrastination I decided to have a look at the sports pages. I love reading about local netball initiatives, particularly as I am the Publicity Officer for Cornwall Netball so I like to know what is going on. The West Briton and the Falmouth Packet are quite good with their netball coverage fyi. However, I was shocked to find that netball does not feature at the top of the page with the list of sports that DOES include golf and motor racing on the Independent site. BUT NO NETBALL?? Unhappy with this, I proceeded to the 'Other' option which drops down with sailing, snooker, boxing, baseball, and general. Still not happy.

Clicking on general, there is no netball present. Even premier league darts gets a spot but my sport is shoved to the back. Obviously not important enough.

Here are some quick facts:
1. For netball, the England team are ranked third IN THE WORLD and that's with little or no pay. Imagine if they got paid how amazing we'd be then...

 2. England Netball is highly reliant on a strong network of volunteers to keep the sport alive. The people who run the leagues? They probably don't get paid. Even some members on the County management boards aren't paid. They do it for the love of the sport.

3. Netball is played up and down the country by people of all ages and abilities. 
 Anyone can play.

4. Netball is not just for girls. There are a number of mixed leagues and tournaments around the country. Men can also get involved in coaching or umpiring. My dad does both as well as being the Chairman of Allestree Netball Club in my home city. He does all of it in his spare time without getting paid, just to support a sport and a club which he is passionate about. 

So please, big national newspapers, get my sport up there and acknowledged with the rest of them. If the Cornish newspapers can support their local clubs I think you need to start supporting the national team. Especially if they can provide you amazing photos like this:

http://home2.btconnect.com/performanceimpact/website/netball1.jpg

Rant over.

K xo
 

No comments:

Post a Comment