Monday 20 January 2014

Turning 20


I saw someone post on twitter this morning that turning 20 counts as 'growing up'. WHAT?! Nobody informed me of this when I turned 20 last september and I know it's a little daunting not being a teenager anymore but I can't help but look forward to how much better my adult life is going to be in comparison to my teenage years.

These are the years of university, jobs, careers, parties, travels, engagements, weddings, maybe even children if you're quick enough haha. These are the years when independence actually means independence rather than living away from home but still getting your parents to pay the bills. Quite frankly I love the prospect of really making the decisions which build the rest of my life, I like being in control of that. 

Let's not lie though, it is difficult to be independent. I have experienced the difficulties of trying to find a part-time job at university, trying and constantly failing with budgeting, balancing working for money and working for my degree, and most of all the struggle of buying something you love but you just can't afford. These are the things which can really drag you down and make being independent much harder but we have to remember that these things take time. Time and mistakes are very good at making you learn and change your habits which is what your 20s are about. Make the mistakes and learn from them to develop into the person you are going to be. At the end of the day, you need the difficulties in life to really appreciate the best times. 

Enjoy turning 20 and take everything in your stride!

K xo

No comments:

Post a Comment