Tuesday 7 May 2013

(Lack of) Sunshine

While the rest of the country are basking in pure, glorious rays of sunlight, Cornwall seems to be back in March. We have grey skies, wind, and even a sea mist last night! What is going on here? 

I have to admit that although I like it a little cooler while I'm doing revision, the sun did motivate me through the hope of days to come after my exams. Sunshine seems to do that to everyone. It makes you happy, motivates you to get outside, get fitter, do something. Now that's gone I should probably kiss any chance of revision goodbye. I just can't find the motivation to work for exams which don't actually matter in my final degree mark... That's right.

For those of you who don't know, first year doesn't count. At all. The marks (and mistakes) that you get do not go towards the final grade of your degree. In some ways this is fantastic, it means you can settle in to university life without worrying (too much) about the grades that you get. It's like a transition year. However, I'm taking out a loan from the government to pay for this year and it's not exactly cheap. Yes, I get the experience and I know that I am ready for the rest of my time at university (that ACTUALLY counts) but is the price really worth it?

My issue right now basically comes down to exams: I only need to pass the year to make it to the next year, and I only need 40% to pass. Why, if these grades don't count towards my degree, would I bother trying?

You tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment