Thursday 1 August 2013

On Living Away from Home


For university, I decided to move over 300 miles south and live in a little place called Falmouth in Cornwall. It really is the most enchanting place but a stark contrast to Derby (where I was born and lived for all of my life until this point) and a huge decision to make at the age of 18. I chose to move away from most of my friends and my entire family, of course I'd see them all again but I knew that it would be very difficult to see them as often as I might like to. 

A week before I was due to move down to Cornwall I got cold feet and suddenly decided that I didn't want to leave my little bubble in Derby that I knew so well. It was the biggest upheaval of my entire life but I didn't realise until this point and started to panic a little. I was worried about not being able to cope with university life and not having the support around me that I was used to. 

As it goes, I moved to Cornwall. I've completed my first year of uni and can't wait to get back down there tomorrow after only a week at home. Now that I've tasted what another place can offer me I get bored of my hometown very quickly. I'll always come back to see my friends and family, I can't go THAT long without seeing them and I love a good catch up but I know now that they'll always be there to support me, no matter how far I go.

This year away has taught me that I am capable of doing things outside of my comfort zone and pushing those limits can open up a whole wealth of opportunities. Although living away from home has been hard at times (running out of money, missing home, etc.) it has been the best experience of my life. So to all those on the brink of university life, relish the feeling of the unknown and embrace the amazing experiences coming your way.

K xo

No comments:

Post a Comment